Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Attention Extreme Couponers: Have I Got A Deal For You

We walk into the New York Times Store and see that a transaction is taking place. We hear a typical conversation between a patron and a store clerk.
"I'll take the Times, coffee, a box of Junior Mints and a souvenir Times mug. Wait... you still have the Declaration of Independence? Throw that in, too."

And then, the words retailers hate to hear.
"Oh, wait... I have a coupon."

The New York Times Store is selling an original 1776 broadsheet of the Declaration of Independence. For $1.6 million.

The store is also running a coupon for 10% off on retailmenot.com. It's not good on books, crossword books or gift certificates. But it doesn't say anything about the exclusion of nearly priceless artifacts of Americana.

Usually, I boycott coupons, simply because I'm in the advertising business, and I think coupons do not do a very good job of building brands. But how often can you save $160,000 with one coupon and own a piece of American history?

1 comment:

  1. I got a complete set of our Founding Documents at the Library of Congress gift shop for just $10! Got you beat!

    ReplyDelete